Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.03.2024, 13:36

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Python wrapper
PostPosted: 08.12.2009, 18:51 

SpOOky wrote:
I use x64 builds of Horde3D on Windows. If you want i can give you the binaries. :)
Hi, again an [very] off topic question :) Is there any advantage over the x86 build of Horde3D? Because x64 only doubles the general purpose and SIMD registers [8 SIMD registers in 32bit mode -> 16 SIMD registers in 64bit mode] and gives the ability to address more than 3.25GB of memory. Just wanted to know is there any noticeable change? I'm not anti x64 :wink:

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 03:25 

SpOOky wrote:
I also had in the works updating the bindings to beta4. Guess you beat me to it :P

I use x64 builds of Horde3D on Windows. If you want i can give you the binaries. :)

That would be really nice SpOOky thanks! At the moment I'm trying to work out if I want to use the 64-bit compiler which comes with the windows SDK installer (and how to link it with qtcreator) or use mingw-w64.

Siavash wrote:
Hi, again an very off topic question :) Is there any advantage over the x86 build of Horde3D? Because x64 only doubles the general purpose and SIMD registers [8 SIMD registers in 32bit mode -> 16 SIMD registers in 64bit mode] and gives the ability to address more than 3.25GB of memory. Just wanted to know is there any noticeable change? I'm not anti x64 :wink:

The advantage for me is so I can run it in the maya 64-bit python interpreter, I wanted an easy way to link the maya API with horde... So far I've been running it in vanilla python 2.6.4 32-bit from python.org using the horde3d libs I compiled from mingw32/qtcreator. Python ctypes doesn't let me mix 32-bit libs with 64-bit python for obvious reasons :P

While I'm on the subject I did a small test and found that the 32-bit libs I generated from the community branch using mingw32 works with the python bindings perfectly but the precompiled libs I used from the beta4 package have a problem displaying anything except for the horde3d logo at the bottom, hmm..... *shrugs*

-Alex

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 05:00 

Hi Alex, thanks a bunch for help and good luck with your project :wink:

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 08:08 

These are built against the official svn (rev 202) with msvc9 and cmake2.8.0 on win7 x64. No extensions.

Attachments:
bins.zip [267.54 KiB]
Downloaded 640 times

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 09:44 

Thanks for the kind words Siavash!

SpOOky cheers for the dll's!

Now I would like to have the chance to complain and moan about how much I dislike pyglet, it seems that it is incompatible with 64-bit python on windows now, let alone my laptop with radeon graphics on ubuntu :( I always seem to be running on the platforms or hardware which aren't supported, silly me!

Now either I install 32-bit maya or I replace pyglet with something else, like SFML with its python bindings.....

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 13:36 

MistaED wrote:
Now I would like to have the chance to complain and moan about how much I dislike pyglet, it seems that it is incompatible with 64-bit python on windows now, let alone my laptop with radeon graphics on ubuntu :( I always seem to be running on the platforms or hardware which aren't supported, silly me!
Pyglet should run fine with 64-bit python, and it certainly runs on Ubuntu/Radeon. Either way, post crash logs, etc. to the pyglet mailing list, and we might have some suggestions for you.

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 16:42 

Because I am using python 3.1 x64 and there aren't any pyglet packages for it (from what i figured pyglet is incompatible with python 3.1) I have searched for alternatives.
I came across pyopengl, but I haven't really tested it, except for initializing the module in the interpreter.

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 18:07 

SpOOky wrote:
Because I am using python 3.1 x64 and there aren't any pyglet packages for it (from what i figured pyglet is incompatible with python 3.1) I have searched for alternatives.
Python 3+ is still considered highly experimental by most :)
I expect pyglet will receive a port once there starts to be a decent level of demand.
Quote:
I came across pyopengl, but I haven't really tested it, except for initializing the module in the interpreter.
They use roughly the same generator for the OpenGL bindings as Pyglet, so switching between the two shouldn't be a problem. PyOpenGL doesn't provide very much in the way of windowing support though...

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 18:39 

I was happy with the basic functionality that came with GLUT (built into pyopengl).

There has been talk about writing our own framework that would replace GLFW(lite). We could wrap that.

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 20:59 
Engine Developer

Siavash wrote:
Hi, again an [very] off topic question :) Is there any advantage over the x86 build of Horde3D? Because x64 only doubles the general purpose and SIMD registers [8 SIMD registers in 32bit mode -> 16 SIMD registers in 64bit mode] and gives the ability to address more than 3.25GB of memory. Just wanted to know is there any noticeable change? I'm not anti x64 :wink:

64 bit is not automatically a win since the pointers have twice the size (8 bytes instead of 4) which will result in more cache misses.

PostPosted: 09.12.2009, 22:44 

marciano wrote:
64 bit is not automatically a win since the pointers have twice the size (8 bytes instead of 4) which will result in more cache misses.
This is why I love your coding style, there is a reason behind everything :)

PostPosted: 10.12.2009, 00:47 

swiftcoder wrote:
I expect pyglet will receive a port once there starts to be a decent level of demand.
AFAIK, the main author of pyglet isn't working on it much any more since become a professional game programmer. The rest of the community is still developing it and packaging up releases by themselves though.

PostPosted: 10.12.2009, 00:59 

DarkAngel wrote:
AFAIK, the main author of pyglet isn't working on it much any more since become a professional game programmer. The rest of the community is still developing it and packaging up releases by themselves though.
I am one of those community developers ;)

PostPosted: 10.12.2009, 04:45 

Ok for some reason today when I import plain pyglet.gl from the python 2.6.4 command line (ubuntu 9.10 default) it doesn't instant segfault for me! Restarts work wonders even for linux I guess...

Anyway, the pyglet test files work fine today so that's good! Importing horde3d works but I have a funny feeling perhaps the lib I built on ubuntu using cmake is in a debug mode or has a compile flag which python ctypes doesn't like? The moment I start to send commands to the lib it segfaults. How is the default cmake setup, can I change it to build the libs in release mode?

Also getting back to running pyglet in a 64-bit windows and python environment, I just get this and from some rudimentary searching on google apparently pyglet needs some work to port over http://code.google.com/p/pyglet/issues/detail?id=396

Code:
Python 2.6.4 (r264:75708, Oct 26 2009, 07:36:50) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on
win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import pyglet
>>> import pyglet.gl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pyglet\gl\__init__.py", line 507, in <modu
le>
    import pyglet.window
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pyglet\window\__init__.py", line 1682, in
<module>
    gl._create_shadow_window()
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pyglet\gl\__init__.py", line 491, in _crea
te_shadow_window
    _shadow_window = Window(width=1, height=1, visible=False)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pyglet\window\win32\__init__.py", line 423
, in __init__
    super(Win32Window, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pyglet\window\__init__.py", line 641, in _
_init__
    raise NoSuchConfigException('No standard config is available.')
pyglet.window.NoSuchConfigException: No standard config is available.
>>>

Thanks all for the help!
-Alex

PostPosted: 03.03.2010, 18:05 

I had some free time to update the Python bindings (core, utils, terrain) and the samples. They should now work with community svn r386.

Regarding the pyglet discussion: My Python bindings do not depend on pyglet, only the samples. You can also use pygame or any other library which opens an opengl window for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next