Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 14.05.2024, 06:34

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 21.08.2008, 12:01 

I am tired of waiting for next releases of Horde3D SDK and Blender Collada Exporter , when next versions will be released ?

I can't wait no longer, is there any nightly releases, PLEASE !!!

PostPosted: 21.08.2008, 13:48 
Tool Developer

You can checkout the current state from the SourceForge SVN.

PostPosted: 22.08.2008, 04:36 

Volker wrote:
You can checkout the current state from the SourceForge SVN.

There is nothing else offical Horde3D 1 beta !
There is just 4 Developers working on Horde3D SDK :!: :?:
Isn't there any Pro on the community to help them by adding new features to the Horde3D or making the wiki much useful !

The community portal is very poor , Look at the Ogre3D Forum and others ... , Their communities are very active and Hundreds of ideas and helps you can find by adding a simple post to their forums ! (keep in the mind that by posting a simple subject to their forums , my post had 35 views and 1 reply after 15 minutes)

Now is the time ! The community Pro members must show their ability and powers NOW !

I'm waiting for the future revolutions !

PostPosted: 22.08.2008, 06:53 
Tool Developer

Then become a Pro and contribute to Horde3D!

BTW.: What features are you waiting for?

PostPosted: 22.08.2008, 12:39 

Volker wrote:
Then become a Pro and contribute to Horde3D!

BTW.: What features are you waiting for?

Dear Volker, I know that you guys are hard working and doing your best.
I have find the Horde3D as the best engine for my game after 4 month searching the forums.
But i'm n00b to game programming.My first project will be a funny racing game for childs.
I will use Code::Blocks, Blender, Bullet and OpenAL engine.As i'm alone to making this game i must do everything such as Modelling, AI, Network, Music and ... by myself.
I have a intermediate-advance knowledge about C++, C#.net, Java, Pascal and i'm learning python and GLSL these days. GLSL programming is a bit hard because i'm not familiar with opengl programming.
For the first step i'm creating models with Blender and improving my GLSL knowledge and then working with the ai, physic, network and sound engines. And my knowledge about network and ai programming is lower than a fried chicken !
Now i have some problems with exporting my models form blender to collada .dae files that they are not suitable for the Horde3D.
Other problem is with the turtles speed of updating the wiki. After 3 month theres only 3 new topics added to the wiki (Fresnel & Gloss shaders) and it's not next-generation wiki so good for newbies like me. I have seen in the features list of Horde3D that it supports fog & post processing effects such as MotionBlur but i couldn't find any topic about that in the Horde3D documentation and wiki.
Next Horde3D supports AF but there is not native support for AA.
Last Question is this : Is already Horde3D SDK optimized with SSE and Multithread functions ?

Excuse me for my poor English because i'm a 19 years old iranian programmer.

Thanks for your respect and Next-Generation engine !

PostPosted: 22.08.2008, 14:32 

Siavash wrote:
And my knowledge about network and ai programming is lower than a fried chicken !
You might consider starting with smaller goals. Build simple 2D simulations to experiment with AI, build a chat system to experiment with networking, build a non-interactive demo to experiment with 3d graphics, etc. Then when you have some experience with each of these, try to put it all together.
Quote:
Now i have some problems with exporting my models form blender to collada .dae files that they are not suitable for the Horde3D.
The Blender->Collada pipeline is known to be broken for anything complicated - a couple of us are working on this, but we all have day jobs too, so progress is not as fast as it might be.
Quote:
You can setup AA yourself (google for 'multisample' to get a few OpenGL tutorials on the subject). However, unless you have a very recent card, there are a lot of complicated issues when combining AA with HDR rendering.
Quote:
Last Question is this : Is already Horde3D SDK optimized with SSE and Multithread functions?
Horde doesn't do anything that would benefit from either of those optimisations. You can of course multi-thread your application, if it makes sense.

PostPosted: 22.08.2008, 14:59 
Tool Developer

We thought about using OpenMP for some of the things done in Horde3D, but I doubt that it will result in a great performance gain. Maybe someone can do some profiling. OpenMP is very easy to integrate. Perhaps I will do some tests when I'm back from holidays.

Concerning the Blender Export, i just uploaded an updated version of the exporter. It is still far from being perfect. But it may be enough for some of the people using Blender.

PostPosted: 22.08.2008, 19:22 

Has far as documentation goes *tutorials and such* most of us are working on them. Just need to find things worth posting.

PostPosted: 22.08.2008, 22:20 

Hi Siavash,

Welcome to the Horde3D community and forums.

The community is very new and small compared to Ogre3D or Irrlitch, the wiki is even younger, it is about 4 months old, so pretty much all that is there is new. I have no idea what you mean by "next-generation wiki", we use mediawiki, the most common wiki software out there.

If you do not know how to program GLSL, and this is essential for horde, you may find in this forum resources to learn it. Also you can ask questions about GLSL code in the forum.

In regards to the blender exporter, the collada support from blender is not very good, and Horde3D collada is also in need of polishing, that is a recognized point of improvement. Unless you want to improve the exporter yourself, there is no other option than wait for someone to get on the job.

In regards to MotionBlur, i think someone wrote a shader or was that for DOF? Hum... ill have to check. Anyway the point is with a shader engine, you have allot of power to add all sorts of effects/postFXs. Look up some code on sample shaders and websites this is pretty much how shaders are being added by the community. Step1: look up a shader that interest you. Step2: Study the code. Step3: "port" the code to Horde3D pipeline.

Another tip, is to listen to guys like swiftcoder and others that have experience and knowledge to share. Take his advice and do things gradually instead of trying to master all aspects of game programming in one huge project.

Hope this helps :) Don't forget to post your problems, and questions.

PostPosted: 22.08.2008, 23:31 

Horde3D is a lot younger than Ogre3D or irrlicht and less known but I expect Horde3D to gain a lot of popularity with time! I know that there is not a lot of tutorials or articles for horde3D, but its normal since the Horde3D community have just started to grow. Since there is not a lot of user here, I don't see a lot of topic unanswered. Marciano, Volko, swiftcoder and some others are making a great job answering to people here.

BTW, Ive started to work on a lot of shaders for horde3D, and I expect to publish some articles about them on the wiki. I'm currently busy with SSAO, but I'm going to work on DOF, motion blur, water, distortion and more.

PostPosted: 23.08.2008, 03:43 

swiftcoder wrote:
Siavash wrote:
And my knowledge about network and ai programming is lower than a fried chicken !
You might consider starting with smaller goals. Build simple 2D simulations to experiment with AI, build a chat system to experiment with networking, build a non-interactive demo to experiment with 3d graphics, etc. Then when you have some experience with each of these, try to put it all together.
Quote:
The Blender->Collada pipeline is known to be broken for anything complicated - a couple of us are working on this, but we all have day jobs too, so progress is not as fast as it might be.
Quote:
You can setup AA yourself (google for 'multisample' to get a few OpenGL tutorials on the subject). However, unless you have a very recent card, there are a lot of complicated issues when combining AA with HDR rendering.
Quote:
Last Question is this : Is already Horde3D SDK optimized with SSE and Multithread functions?
Horde doesn't do anything that would benefit from either of those optimisations. You can of course multi-thread your application, if it makes sense.

Thanks for your guidance swiftcoder, i will working on simple game ai with GameMaker

PostPosted: 23.08.2008, 03:59 

Volker wrote:
We thought about using OpenMP for some of the things done in Horde3D, but I doubt that it will result in a great performance gain. Maybe someone can do some profiling. OpenMP is very easy to integrate. Perhaps I will do some tests when I'm back from holidays.

Concerning the Blender Export, i just uploaded an updated version of the exporter. It is still far from being perfect. But it may be enough for some of the people using Blender.

Thats a good idea ! I searched the wikipedia and it sounds like that OMP will increase the Horde3D framerates by its unique multithread system. By making the render pipeline, cpu killing particle systems and ... separate we can show the world how this engine is blood thurst :twisted: But OMP lacks in compiler compatibility, error debugging and it have it's hardware limits too :|

About profilling i have some experiences with c#.net and there is a profilling tool named RedGate Ants Profiler (2 weeks trial)
It's a good profilling tool that it shows the cpu consumer code blocks and their timings.
I think that integrates to C++ too and we can use it temporarily for some optimizations on Horde3D engine :!:

Last edited by Siavash on 23.08.2008, 05:07, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 23.08.2008, 04:13 

DDd wrote:
Hi Siavash,

Welcome to the Horde3D community and forums.

The community is very new and small compared to Ogre3D or Irrlitch, the wiki is even younger, it is about 4 months old, so pretty much all that is there is new. I have no idea what you mean by "next-generation wiki", we use mediawiki, the most common wiki software out there.

If you do not know how to program GLSL, and this is essential for horde, you may find in this forum resources to learn it. Also you can ask questions about GLSL code in the forum.

In regards to the blender exporter, the collada support from blender is not very good, and Horde3D collada is also in need of polishing, that is a recognized point of improvement. Unless you want to improve the exporter yourself, there is no other option than wait for someone to get on the job.

In regards to MotionBlur, i think someone wrote a shader or was that for DOF? Hum... ill have to check. Anyway the point is with a shader engine, you have allot of power to add all sorts of effects/postFXs. Look up some code on sample shaders and websites this is pretty much how shaders are being added by the community. Step1: look up a shader that interest you. Step2: Study the code. Step3: "port" the code to Horde3D pipeline.

Another tip, is to listen to guys like swiftcoder and others that have experience and knowledge to share. Take his advice and do things gradually instead of trying to master all aspects of game programming in one huge project.

Hope this helps :) Don't forget to post your problems, and questions.

Dear DDd, excuse me about forum, it's about 2-3 month that i found Horde3D and i didn't know that the wiki is about 4 month old.
And I mean that as Horde3D is next-generations engine, it's forums must be next-generation too.

It's about 1-2 weeks that I am learning GLSL shaders with LightHouse3D GLSL chapters and other sources, then i will switch to ATI's RenderMonkey program that it provides hundresds of examples , code editing and code generation and realtime shader view on objects.It's the most suitable tool that i found with shaders programming :idea:

PostPosted: 23.08.2008, 18:14 

It looks like you are on your way. Good luck with your project, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

ATI's Rendermonkey is indeed a great tool, i do have some criticism in terms of the fox toolkit, it looks quite ugly, and no code completion is a terrible thing not to have once we get used to it. nvidia's FX Composer is a more advanced tool, but i don't like to use it as much as i do rendermonkey.

I have sent them an email regarding this code-completion function but as always unless you are Tim Sweeney or some other big name, you pretty much get ignored by both ATI and NVIDIA :cry:

The amount of samples that they provide is a great way to learn how to program shaders, independent of the language you use. The Motion Blur code for OpenglES does appear to be broken at least on my machine.