Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.04.2024, 06:05

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 08.01.2009, 07:07 

I tried to put a few textures on my model and noticed the entire model is using the same texture. Must we bake all textures as one, like DX files?

PostPosted: 08.01.2009, 08:00 

Can you explain in a bit more detail? Did you add multiple textures in your DCC app, in the material XML, where? If you did it in the material then you'd have to modify the shader accordingly.

PostPosted: 08.01.2009, 09:29 

do you mean your trying to stack textures, or have a number of tiling texture on the one model? for latter you will need to define a new surface for each area the specific tiling texture is to applied (though it can still be on the same UV channel) - for stacking you will need to modify the shaders, and define which TexCords. to be used. (e.g. 2,3).

Let's bring 'em out! Any old iron! Any old iron!
A door opens and a homewife brings out a rather sophisticated-looking ground-to-air missile system, and dumps it on the cart.
Thank you.

PostPosted: 08.01.2009, 18:49 

Wow I had no idea that was to complicated LOL, thx for the help though guys..

Ok, I have a figure with separated parts. Arms, legs, head etc..

I use materials in maya to model with but I cant export them so I have no choice to texture it all. I figure since I have to do that why not put in some detail. Well If I texture all of my parts with separate texture files only one texture is chosen in horde edit, and all of my figure is that texture. I'm thinking I have to bake all of my textures to one like the X format.. It is not easy to do that in maya with multiple materials. So I'm hoping not.

PuG, I think its the later but you lost me with some terminology. I'm guessing stacking is what I'm doing. So a gather the conversion to geo is loosing the texture coordinates and I have to replying them? I thought that would come out of the export as it so explicitly says it does in the options.

So baking may be the best option then?

PostPosted: 08.01.2009, 19:27 
Tool Developer

I'm not so familiar with the modelling tools, but I thought, that every different texture will result in a separate submesh node and material file during the conversion process from Collada to Horde3D. So normally it shouldn't be a problem to use a model with several textures on it,... but I'm not really certain concerning my statement, although I looked into the ColladaConverter just one day ago :-)

PostPosted: 08.01.2009, 23:31 

Ya I would have thought so to. Collada supports multiple textures so a amused the convert would. But if its as complicated as what Pug said I would consider that a no.

PostPosted: 09.01.2009, 09:54 

from your first topic you where suggesting you wanted to apply more than one texture on the model :) otherwise just UV unwrap and texture accordingly - however if you say want the torso, arms, legs in one 512 x 512 image, and the head in a second then you will need to define the surfaces accordingly in Maya.

A door opens and a homewife brings out a rather sophisticated-looking ground-to-air missile system, and dumps it on the cart.
Thank you.

PostPosted: 10.01.2009, 01:31 

I think the only thing I have learned in this thread, is that I have no idea what I'm try to say LOL..

I would much appreciate anyone that has the patience to help.

Quote:
from your first topic you where suggesting you wanted to apply more than one texture on the model :)
- So did I ?

Quote:
otherwise just UV unwrap and texture accordingly
- I'm pretty sure wrapping is just repeating the texture, no? If no, then that is not what i want.

Quote:
- however if you say want the torso, arms, legs in one 512 x 512 image, and the head in a second then you will need to define the surfaces accordingly in Maya.
- this sounds like ehat I'm doing. But you lost me on
Quote:
define the surfaces accordingly in Maya
. I know what a materiel is, and I know what a texture is, so whats a surfaces ? I have about 25 materials each with there own texture. All I want is to get that in to the editor.. The editor does not know where to put each texture.. It is using only one.

Thx for your help, PuG..

PostPosted: 10.01.2009, 10:08 

Quote:
I know what a materiel is, and I know what a texture is, so whats a surfaces ? I have about 25 materials each with there own texture. All I want is to get that in to the editor.. The editor does not know where to put each texture.. It is using only one.

A surface is a grouping of defined polygons with a material attribute applied. At the moment you have 25 materials, and 25 textures, its unlikely their all within one material using say 25 UV coordinates, so you must have defined polygons accordingly to the texture you want tiled..

Unwrapping normally means taking you mesh and unfolding it to be displayed on a 2d area, e.g. U & V coordinates.

Horde will load your model with 25 textures without a problem assuming their in individual materials.

Your going to have to figure it out yourself , test it with some simple cubes first to get a better understanding of the pipeline. Apply a few textures and see what happens.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 10.01.2009, 22:51 

That is good enough for me, as long as I know its my fault and not the editor. If it supports it i'll get it to work, thx.

Oh wait, how does the uv type ( plainer, box, cylinder etc... ) get pass over? Does Horde use only one type?

PostPosted: 13.01.2009, 03:08 

Holly crap.....I dont believe what I'm seeing.. That was impressive. I just imported my new fully textured model with all kinds of mappings and they are there.. Like magic. Amazing.

Horde team.. amazing job, and PuG thx for your help.