Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 12.05.2024, 20:54

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 31.03.2009, 06:18 

As we would like to build a game with Horde3D, to secure our resources , is there any way that Horde3D can support to extract the resources from a compressed file, and load the resources in the compressed file from memory ?

PostPosted: 31.03.2009, 08:35 
Tool Developer

Textures can be compressed using DDS. The rest of the resource data can be loaded using Horde3D::loadResource(). How you extract the resource data from any source you want is up to you. Horde3DUtils::loadResourcesFromDisk loads it directly from (non compressed) files, but you can of course write your own loadResourcesFromZip/Network/... but there's no such implementation available in the official package.

PostPosted: 01.04.2009, 01:32 

Volker wrote:
Textures can be compressed using DDS. The rest of the resource data can be loaded using Horde3D::loadResource(). How you extract the resource data from any source you want is up to you. Horde3DUtils::loadResourcesFromDisk loads it directly from (non compressed) files, but you can of course write your own loadResourcesFromZip/Network/... but there's no such implementation available in the official package.

Should this be added to the official package to make it compatible with collada 1.5? v1.5 requires support for .zae files (compressed zip file with a collada xml manifest file.)

Quote:
All importers and exporters of COLLADA documents must now support the .zae archive format

Not that it's very important but if someone has the time or has this done already it would be nice to have a patch ;)

PostPosted: 01.04.2009, 12:20 

DDd wrote:
Volker wrote:

Should this be added to the official package to make it compatible with collada 1.5? v1.5 requires support for .zae files (compressed zip file with a collada xml manifest file.)
It would certainly be a nice addition to the converter, but since we don't load Collada files directly...

PostPosted: 01.04.2009, 21:34 

swiftcoder wrote:
It would certainly be a nice addition to the converter, but since we don't load Collada files directly...

I was thinking about the converter wend i wrote that ;)

If we add it to the converter why not have a more general facility and add it to Horde3dUtils :) I have code like that written in Java, but since i don't have my mobile game framework converted to Cpp (yet!), it will take some time before i add this. Perhaps someone else already has some code laying around that they can contribute :?:

For the network code this would add a network library dependency... perhaps this kind of facility is best suited to be added to Horde3D GameEngine project.

PostPosted: 10.04.2009, 08:29 

Then I think i need to write my own package for loadresources from compress file. Also. there is a bullet physic wrapper. but i prefer Havok. It seems so many package need prepared by meself.

PostPosted: 10.04.2009, 15:23 

Horde is designed to load resources from memory (using Horde3D::loadResource) - but no file format for a "package" is implemented. The utility library provides Horde3DUtils::loadResourcesFromDisk as a default file loader, until you write your own. There are other libraries like PhysFS that you could use here.

Horde is just a graphics engine (but there are some game engines built on it), so a physics layer is a separate project than Horde itself.
Horde makes it pretty easy to update the graphics with data from most physics engines - my physics wrapper is only a few hundred lines in total.