Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 09.05.2024, 14:33

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: 10.08.2009, 04:41 

Hello there, I am somewhat of a noob to designing haha. :lol:
but I have used warcraft III world editor and elder scrolls construction set to mastered quality, (not that it helps much)
anyways I am now looking to make a game through normal means. i have downloaded Ogre it seems a bit complicated for a beginer, so then I found this via google. Looks good screenshots look awesome, and also looks like a friendly community. this is the game Idea I have
A sci fi shooter which will take place in the future.
Anyways I have one big question Can Horde 3d make a game in its beta state? Please answer this. Also what programs will I need to make a succesful game sorry for that noob of a question. and what modelling programs is Horde 3d compatitable with? and what physics engines and so forth. Sorry I dont mean to be selfish in these questions please help. Any suggestiosn appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: 10.08.2009, 05:01 

Tidusfet wrote:
HI have used warcraft III world editor and elder scrolls construction set to mastered quality ... anyways I am now looking to make a game through normal means. i have downloaded Ogre it seems a bit complicated for a beginer, so then I found this via google. Can Horde 3d make a game in its beta state?
Yeah Horde is very capable of making games at the moment - the minimum requirements are a OpenGL 2.1 / Shader Model 2.0 compatible graphics card though.

However, you would have to be fairly competent with C, C++, Python or some other programming language in order to succeed.
If you're new to programming, I would really reccommend starting with much smaller projects, e.g. Tetris or Pong :wink:
Quote:
Also what programs will I need to make a succesful game, and what modelling programs is Horde 3d compatitable with? and what physics engines and so forth.

Programming: Compiler/IDE, such as microsoft visual studio express
2D art: Photoshop/Gimp/Painshop/etc..
3D art: a modelling program that can export to COLLADA (.DAE)

Also, Horde3D is only a graphics engine, so you will need libraries for sound, network, physics, etc...

Any modelling program that can export to COLLADA should be compatible. Popular ones are Blender (free) and 3DSMax (expensive).
You should be able to integrate any physics engine with Horde. I use Bullet, personally.