Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.04.2024, 03:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Amazing work.
PostPosted: 09.09.2009, 19:13 

The idea of me making a game outside of the Game Maker software has been stuck in the back of my head since I was in high school. I am now in college and have since outgrown Game Maker and other software like it. Recently, my desire to make a game was rekindled, and my understanding of how everything works is becoming clearer to me. I have looked at quite a few game engines and rendering engines and of all the engines I have seen, not one of them have been as clean both in code and concept as Horde 3D. You all did an outstanding job, and I look forward to showing off my creations to you all. It is only a matter of time before somebody finds you and decides to make a AAA title with your work.

My current setup:
Rendering - Horde 3D
Audio - OpenAL
Physics - Custom, borrowing concepts from Bullet (or maybe just Bullet)
Custom scene manager and graph.

Post subject: Re: Amazing work.
PostPosted: 09.09.2009, 20:57 
Tool Developer

Always nice to see the community growing! Looking forward to see your first screenshots.

PostPosted: 10.09.2009, 01:10 

Welcome, Orm :wink:

I've been using Horde since version 0.6 (0.6 to 0.15, then beta1 onwards), and it's only getting better!

PostPosted: 21.09.2009, 15:21 

I'll be sure to let you guys know when my framework is ready for tests. If any of you have heard of GameMaker, I am taking some inspiration from that as far as structure is concerned. Base Actor class, simple and straightforward scene graph, etc...

I only wish there were some libs I could statically link without having to go through the BS of compiling with Microsofts' compiler. Yes, im a MinGW fan. 8)

As far as the actual API structure is concerned, I am taking heavy inspiration from Horde's structure. The idea of an OO internal structure with a clean, function based API simply makes perfect sense to me. Gimme a break, it's my first major project. I have never actually designed a program structure before, so I need a smart kid to cheat off of. :lol:

PostPosted: 21.09.2009, 16:30 

Orm wrote:
I only wish there were some libs I could statically link without having to go through the BS of compiling with Microsofts' compiler. Yes, im a MinGW fan. 8)
If you install MinGW and CMake, you can compile Horde for MinGW, thus bypassing Visual Studio entirely. The build command would look like this: cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" && make

If you do this, make sure you are using a very recent version of MinGW (one based on GCC 4 or later).

PostPosted: 29.09.2009, 02:28 

Sounds like my installation.