Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 14.05.2024, 11:12

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Playing videos in horde
PostPosted: 28.06.2010, 11:00 

I'm trying to play videos on some textures of my 3d scene. For decoding I use FFmpeg. Everything is fine until I try to change textures in horde (so, everything is decoded correctly, h3dutCreateTGAImage works successfully). If I use only LoadResource then horde loads only the first frame of the video. If I use UnloadResource before it everything works, but I get 10 fps (normally the speed of the scene is more than 70 fps with 8xAA). Even with writing every frame to disk I got 23-25 fps with antialiasing. And with unloading texture resource and no AA I get 11 fps :P
I tried creating texture resource with different flags, like no compression, dynamic textures and other, but situation is the same.

I tried to use h3dMapResStream to directly modify the texture, but for some reason I get a null pointer and an "Invalid operation in h3dMapResStream" (even for reading. Maybe because I tried it after AddResource operation and texture data was not yet uploaded).

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 28.06.2010, 13:10 

Hi Irdis,

What are the specs for this video, like what resolution is it and what codec/bit-rate? If it is an non power of two try making it one and see what the performance is like. I'm not too sure how to use mapstream so I can't really help there. Using blender's video2texture approach with a 1080p video it wasn't very good performance-wise either.

http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/AR ... object.txt
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/fast ... sfers.html

You might need to extend horde to support PBOs or something to get better performance, I'm not sure.

PostPosted: 28.06.2010, 14:39 

You definitely have to use the mapStream functionality in Horde, which dynamically uploads the new texture data.
Internally it does use glTexImage2D (replacing the old texture, which seems a bit faster than using glTexSubImage2D).
We use this approach to dynamically upload new textures, and even a decent graphics card will allow an upload of 500MB/sec (e.g. NVIDIA 8600M GT, running Linux in Parallels, so virtualized).
The basic outline is:
Code:
- Use
  dynTex = ::h3dCreateTexture("$DYN_TEXTURE", videoWidth, videoHeight, TEX_BGRA8, H3DResFlags::NoTexMipmaps);
  to create a new texture - be careful to chose a name which is not yet occupied!
  Use TEX_BGRA8 as format - your video needs to be converted in this format or you have to patch the renderer to support BGR only
- Find the material resource you want to apply the video texture to
  matRes = ::h3dFindResource(H3DResTypes::Material, matName);
- Find the sampler index within the material
  int samplerIndex = h3dFindResElem(matRes, H3DMatRes::SamplerElem, H3DMatRes::SampNameStr, samplerName); // samplerName sth like "albedoMap"
- Apply the dynTex to the material
  h3dSetResParamI(matRes, H3DMatRes::SamplerElem, samplerIndex, H3DMatRes::SampTexResI, dynTex);
- You do this only once.

Then after getting a video frame from ffmpeg, upload it to horde (which will upload it to GL)
void *mappedData = h3dMapResStream(dynTex, H3DTexRes::ImageElem, i*countsPerSlice+mip, H3DTexRes::ImgPixelStream, false, true );
// (i, countsPerSlice and mip are only relevant if you have a mipmapped and/or cube texture, otherwise just set it to 0)
// copy image data over to horde's internal buffer
memcpy(mappedData, ffmpegVideoFrame, textureSize); // with texture size being videoWidth*videoHeight*4 in case of BGRA8
// tell horde to upload data to GL
h3dUnmapResStream(dynTex);

Hope this gets you going.
In our case a PBO approach wasn't really worth it. One could also avoid the memcpy, if horde accepts a raw memory pointer, but this might only work for OpenGL.

Alex

Last edited by AlexL on 29.06.2010, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28.06.2010, 16:49 

MistaEd, video file is xvid encoded, 720*480, bitrate about 1800. It takes little time to decode (if I don't update the texture in horde decoding is not even noticable). Thanks for links. Great work on the ES port, by the way))

AlexL, thanks alot, everything worked!

PostPosted: 28.12.2010, 22:29 

Could you post a working example on how you got ffmpeg working?

PostPosted: 05.01.2011, 10:42 

Hi zester,

you could look at http://hcm-lab.de/public/Horde3D/trunk/ ... Component/ (Further details can be found here: http://hcm-lab.de/projects/GameEngine/d ... ials:vidoe)

Maybe you find some piece of code that is useful.