Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 16.06.2024, 15:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 30.01.2009, 22:32 

I see horde3d uses GLFW for input. I'm going to attempt to put together a joystick class and was wondering if this has been done? Is GLFW the only source of input for devices in horde3d?

PostPosted: 31.01.2009, 02:35 

ulao wrote:
I see horde3d uses GLFW for input. I'm going to attempt to put together a joystick class and was wondering if this has been done? Is GLFW the only source of input for devices in horde3d?
Horde is a rendering engine - as such it has no concept of input. You are free to implement windowing, input and everything else in whatever way you choose. Although the current samples use GLFW, previous versions used SDL (which has joystick support), I believe you can still find the SDL example code on the wiki.

PostPosted: 31.01.2009, 03:17 

Really. I was under the impression horde3d had a few game features? I though I read something about a GUI and HUD, but could be wrong. I guess this raises a question of, are there any 3rd party attempts to extend game functionality to it? I s the Horde3DPhysics not very complete then as in I want see much in the way of gravity or collision?

Oh and turns out GLFW has quite a few joystick functions.

Has anyone used this

http://mm-werkstatt.informatik.uni-augs ... .php/about

Looks premature still.

PostPosted: 31.01.2009, 05:24 

ulao wrote:
Really. I was under the impression horde3d had a few game features? I though I read something about a GUI and HUD, but could be wrong. I guess this raises a question of, are there any 3rd party attempts to extend game functionality to it? Is the Horde3DPhysics not very complete then as in I want see much in the way of gravity or collision?
Horde doesn't do GUI, physics, AI, or anything else beyond graphics - however, there are several projects that interface a GUI libraries, physics APIs, etc. with Horde. Check the wiki and forums for details about them.
Quote:
Has anyone used this
http://mm-werkstatt.informatik.uni-augs ... .php/about
Looks premature still.
If you hunt around the forums, you will see that several people have been developing the GameEngine. It isn't a finished product at this point, but it is very useful.

PostPosted: 31.01.2009, 11:26 
Engine Developer

ulao wrote:
Really. I was under the impression horde3d had a few game features?

I wonder how you could get that impression, I think the feature site, the api header and the docs show quite clearly that we just do rendering (and some animation) as core business :)
Everything else is samples or helper libraries created by our community. These are very valuable but not part of the horde core.

PostPosted: 31.01.2009, 18:31 

marciano wrote:
ulao wrote:
Really. I was under the impression horde3d had a few game features?

I wonder how you could get that impression, I think the feature site, the api header and the docs show quite clearly that we just do rendering (and some animation) as core business :)
Everything else is samples or helper libraries created by our community. These are very valuable but not part of the horde core.
- I think do to what swiftcoder said. The wiki talks about it a lot and at first glance its rather hard to get the big picture all at once. So you see certain things like GUI physics and you try a few examples. You like what you see and retain what you "saw". If it were a "job" then more time could go in to investigation and reading what the engine actually offers. Though, that was not my intent and admittedly I thought there was more to it. However as swiftcoder also said there are lots of add ons, and this could still possibly work for me. Ironically, with the add ons, this is a more complete "game engine" then most real "game engines" have to offer.

PostPosted: 31.01.2009, 20:15 

I am pretty sure a couple of fairly full-featured game engines will show up in the future - I have one in the pipeline, although likely a ways off.