As mentioned by some of you, we should stick with CMake, since my experience is that it works on Mac, Linux and Windows and I had tested that already with XCode / GNU make / MSVC on those platforms.
I personally don't think that it makes to much sense to copy the libs and headers to your /usr/whatever directories for most of the Horde3D users.
First reason is that it seems (even in this thread), that it is not clear where those files should be copied to (q.e.d. to my first post
The second is that if you integrate Horde in your project, I guess that most developers are using a versioning system which probably also integrates the Horde source code, since it might be necessary to change something there for a specific project too. In this case it makes more sense to me, to hold the source code at one place instead of installing it in the system.
The only reason I see for installing it into the system is that if an official application needs Horde3D and does not ship with it and you only want to install the dependencies, it might be more "native" to do it with a "make install". That's also the reason why I think adding a proper INSTALL section to the CMake configuration would not be a bad idea, and if someone can help adding it, it would be much appreciated.
(e.g. by posting a patch here in the forum).
Concerning the README, AUTHORS, etc. files I very much agree with swiftcoders comment. A readme file is in the SVN and in the official packages, and compiling instructions can be found in the wiki. Maybe we should add a link to it to the readme file.
The reason why the GameEngine is not integrated into the build system is that it was mostly developed under MSVC while I was working for the university. Currently I don't use it in any of my projects anymore and as far as I know the people at the lab still stick with MSVC. So until some nix/Mac user want's to use it, I guess no one wants to spend time to make it usable under nix/mac systems. The GameEngine in the CB was integrated to show what can be done based on Horde, but it is not officially supported by me or marciano. That's also the reason why it is not integrated into the SF svn repository. I will always try to answer questions concerning the GameEngine or try to find a solution if something is not working that was ment to be running out of the box. But I currently don't have the time to add new things/features.
BTW, the editor is based on qmake and should be compileable under linux (although support for the new shader/material system is still missing). But I got some segfaults with the latest revision under linux. Running it under windows was no problem. If someone has some time to reproduce/debug that it would be great.