Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.03.2024, 06:52

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 03.06.2008, 08:14 

Since like 4-5 months, i'm working on a indie game project with some friends and students. This game will be a little 2D/3D adventure/action game. I don't want do give more detail on this game now but you can expect some in-game screenshots at the end of this summer!

Our team is composed by 1 programmer( me ), 3 3D artists( One specialized in animation, one level designer, one in 3D character modeling and texturing, and an another in general modeling and texturing ), and 1 music composer. They work all for free since there is no leader in our team and everyone can give their ideas.

Ive been working on an personnal game engine for this project. For now, it is not intended to be used by the other, but if someone want to use this engine, I could give the source code with the complete engine for free! At this moment, only the core engine is done, there is no event handling. My first objective, is to create some tools as the EscapeNgine Editor to help the work of our 3D Artist.

This Editor is composed by a Resource and map editor. In the resource Editor, we can add object and edit their physical attribute for ODE, and specify a model to be loaded. For now, only a .scene.xml can be loaded as a model for an object, I don't know if its the best choice? Eventually, ill try to make a shader editor too.

After an object( or an entity, maybe ill change the name ) is added to the resource editor, can can add instance of this object in the map editor. When you add an instance, you can select his type of instance. If it is added as an Object3D, this object will not be affected by the physic, but if you add this object as a PhysicalObject3D, this object will be affected by physic.

For now, ou can load a game project, save a game project, load an EscapeNgine Map, Save an EscapeNgine map, edit resources, save resources, edit map, move object in map with gizmo, etc. But it still a bit buggy and the Editor is far from being finished, it is at a very primitive state. I'm planning to change and to add a lot of things!

If you want to see a video of the engine editor, you download it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?djjuy05mm8i

Ive put the video on youtube too, but the quality is HORRIBLE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F46uBNX5xRM

I do have a low framerate, but my friend have like 800-1000 FPS on the map editor on Vista with a Nvidia GT 88000.

(Note: The editor is made with Qt and the EscapeNgine. The EscapeNgine is made with Horde3D, ODE, SFML)

PostPosted: 03.06.2008, 08:35 

My workplace has blocked http://www.medifire.com and http://www.youtube.com (but not au.youtube.com!!), so I had to put up with the low-quality video :wink:

I like the physics integration in your editor though, and the movement gizmo - is it just a model made by one of your artists?

PostPosted: 03.06.2008, 12:28 

nonsense remark: number of coders should be twice the number of artists. ( if there is no artist forget about the game :D )

@darkangel: try vtunnel.com or something like that. (some ppl have ssh to their home pc)

@mikmacer: good start. if you want others to play it a lot make it online multiplayer. single player indie games die too fast.

PostPosted: 03.06.2008, 18:26 

Thanks!

DarkAngel->
The Gizmo is composed by three mesh, one for each axes and it was made bu an atrist. I'm simply using the pick node fonction to check wich one is selected.

kal->
I was thinking about a multiplayer part for this game, but it would take a lot more work since ive never done an online program and I don't think my engine is designed for this at this moment. We are currently working on something with a original gameplay. I think its a good way to be heard.

The number of coder is so low because I just can't find any one near me now. All of my friends are currently busy with their university courses or with their own projects.

PostPosted: 03.07.2008, 07:32 

We started trying to render the first scene of our game today:

This an early work in progress and it's far from being finished!

PostPosted: 03.07.2008, 12:55 

Mikmacer wrote:
This an early work in progress and it's far from being finished!
Looking good! Horde needs some good looking games soon ;)

PostPosted: 06.07.2008, 20:27 
Engine Developer

Hey, that's great so far! Please keep us updated on your progress...

swiftcoder wrote:
Looking good! Horde needs some good looking games soon ;)

That's so true! :)

PostPosted: 07.07.2008, 01:49 

Thanks! Ill try post information about our project as often as I can.

Ive changed the parralax shader included in hode3D to add a specular texture, so it look a little better now.

PostPosted: 13.07.2008, 20:47 

Ive implemented a real time fur shader whithin Horde3D:

I think it could be used as a grass shader too:

It is based on the exemple wich came with Render Monkey. I'm happy with this since Ive learned a lot about the Horde3D pipeline with this shader!

PostPosted: 13.07.2008, 22:12 

Nice shader, any chance of a copy? ;)

PostPosted: 13.07.2008, 22:38 

swiftcoder wrote:
Nice shader, any chance of a copy? ;)

For sure!

Unfortunaly, the shader is not affected by lighting at this moment :? I should find a way...

Attachments:
File comment: Fur shader
FurShaderExample.rar [118.98 KiB]
Downloaded 771 times
PostPosted: 14.07.2008, 01:05 

but it still looks cool. thanks for sharing it

PostPosted: 20.07.2008, 07:35 

Ive been working on a Depth of field shader today:

I was initialy planning to use the render monkey example, but Ive finally got on own, using the depth buffer. It helped me a lot to understand how buffers works in the Horde3D Pipeline!

I could give the source, if you want, but I still need to work a little bit on it since Ive only implemented the far blur.

PostPosted: 20.07.2008, 22:02 
Tool Developer

I'm not a great shader programmer, that was always something I leave up to 'marciano' but I'm interested in it and really liked the articles in the wiki. Maybe you can add some of your awesome shader codes as a little tutorial to the Community section in the wiki. That would be great!

PostPosted: 20.07.2008, 23:06 

Volker wrote:
I'm not a great shader programmer, that was always something I leave up to 'marciano' but I'm interested in it and really liked the articles in the wiki. Maybe you can add some of your awesome shader codes as a little tutorial to the Community section in the wiki. That would be great!

I was thinking about it. Unfortunaly, I don't have have a lot of time now, but it's something I will try to do soon as I can :) but, I'm not an expert, I am learning a lot since some weeks.