Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 11:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: The Broken Vow
PostPosted: 14.08.2009, 13:00 

I've put up an early gameplay video of a 3rd person action game prototype that I've been developing for a while now.
Goal is to provide a showcase for the possibilities of an elaborate 3D game using secret alien technology.
Many people have helped developing graphics for the game and also on this forum support has been great, thanks to all!

I hope you like it, have a nice day!

Post subject: Re: The Broken Vow
PostPosted: 14.08.2009, 13:12 
Tool Developer

Wow! That's really impressive work! I've never done anything in Lisp, but it looks like something really professional can be implemented with it :-)

PostPosted: 15.08.2009, 00:37 
Engine Developer

Awesome work jimbo! I think this is the first Horde demo that can be compared to a commerical shooter.

I noticed that the massive explosion brings the framerate down a lot. How many particles are you spawning? Usually the number of particles used for explosions is surprisingly low in next-gen games, somewhere between 20 and 100. However, I'm aware that Horde's particle system is currently not powerful enough to make a good looking explosion with just a few particles. More complex curves for the parameters and flipbook textures would make the difference.

Out of curiosity, how are you creating the decals?

PostPosted: 15.08.2009, 07:13 

Thanks for the comments ;). Yes the explosions are are way too heavy on the CPU, also because all barrels explode in a chain reaction. I've been fiddling a lot with the params, but I guess making good explosions is quite an expertise.

These are the emitter params:

Code:
<Emitter name="ParticleSystem1" material="barrel/explosion1.material.xml" particleEffect="barrel/explosion1.particle.xml"
          maxCount="50" respawnCount="1" delay="0" emissionRate="200" spreadAngle="360"
          forceX="0" forceY="0" forceZ="0" />

<ParticleEffect lifeMin="1" lifeMax="2.0">   
      <ChannelOverLife channel="moveVel" startMin="4.0" startMax="8.0" endRate="2" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="rotVel"  startMin="10"  startMax="210" endRate="0.57" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="size"    startMin="6" startMax="9" endRate="4" />

<ChannelOverLife channel="colR" startMin="0.4" startMax="0.6" endRate="0.0" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="colG" startMin="0.2" startMax="0.3" endRate="0.0" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="colB" startMin="0.1" startMax="0.2" endRate="0.0" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="colA" startMin="0.1" startMax="0.2" endRate="0.0" />
</ParticleEffect>

<Emitter name="ParticleSystem2" material="barrel/explosion2.material.xml" particleEffect="barrel/explosion2.particle.xml"
          maxCount="50" respawnCount="1" delay="0.1" emissionRate="100" spreadAngle="360"
          forceX="0" forceY="0.5" forceZ="0" />

<ParticleEffect lifeMin="1" lifeMax="4.0">   
      <ChannelOverLife channel="moveVel" startMin="4.0" startMax="6.0" endRate="0" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="rotVel"  startMin="1"  startMax="2" endRate="0.57" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="size"    startMin="4" startMax="2" endRate="4" />

<ChannelOverLife channel="colR" startMin="1" startMax="1" endRate="0.0" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="colG" startMin="1" startMax="1" endRate="0.0" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="colB" startMin="1" startMax="1" endRate="0.0" />
      <ChannelOverLife channel="colA" startMin="-0.1" startMax="0" endRate="0" />
</ParticleEffect>

There is great particle middleware out there. Maybe creating an extension for one would be a good idea.

The decals are parallax shaded meshes with a small offset from the surface they lay on. Also a semi transparent shader will make them appear to match colors on all materials. They're not perfect and shooting several decals over each other will cause z-fighting.

PostPosted: 15.08.2009, 11:24 
Engine Developer

I assume the problem with the particles is rather the fillrate caused by the overdraw than the CPU costs. Usually good textures are the key to reduce the number of particles and have them look good.

Something like this: http://www.umbralheights.com/images/ut3_editor/smoketex.jpg

PostPosted: 20.08.2009, 09:09 

Impressive!

Let's bring 'em out! Any old iron! Any old iron!
A door opens and a homewife brings out a rather sophisticated-looking ground-to-air missile system, and dumps it on the cart.
Thank you.

PostPosted: 29.09.2009, 22:07 

Impressive work. I have to know, because I have not been able to get a definitive answer from any source, is Lisp compiled or interpreted?

PostPosted: 04.10.2009, 14:07 

Orm wrote:
Impressive work. I have to know, because I have not been able to get a definitive answer from any source, is Lisp compiled or interpreted?

Corman Lisp produces optimized assembly, but as with any good Lisps the compiler is available at runtime. Which means code like scripts can also be written in Lisp, loaded in the game at runtime and compiled "on the fly". A major benefit of this is the possibility of runtime development: while the game is running you can change existing functions and data. So no more restarting the game and reloading resources/gamestates all the time.