Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 10:54

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: next-gen
PostPosted: 03.04.2009, 10:17 

next-gen. i've seen this attribute put next to almost everything, from the unreal engine 3 to simple demos that only featured normal maps and motion blur. imho it's overused, and the net is over-saturated with next-gen items, not actually differentiating between them. i believe that we should emphasize on what makes horde3d, horde3d. and switch from "next-generation graphics engine" to "shader-based graphics engine" or something similar.

in the end, what i'm saying comes to that we should replace this general marketing term with something that is inherent to horde3d.

Post subject: Re: next-gen
PostPosted: 04.04.2009, 16:28 

SpOOky wrote:
next-gen. i've seen this attribute put next to almost everything, from the unreal engine 3 to simple demos that only featured normal maps and motion blur. imho it's overused, and the net is over-saturated with next-gen items, not actually differentiating between them. i believe that we should emphasize on what makes horde3d, horde3d. and switch from "next-generation graphics engine" to "shader-based graphics engine" or something similar.

in the end, what i'm saying comes to that we should replace this general marketing term with something that is inherent to horde3d.
I find 'next-gen' fairly catchy, and I don't think that a change will make much difference. Programmers evaluating graphics engines are very rarely going to be pulled in by a catch phrase - some more beautiful samples and demos would be worth considerably more ;)

PostPosted: 05.04.2009, 12:49 
Engine Developer

Although nextgen is certainly overused and more of a marketing term, I think it describes Horde better than "shader-based engine" since our focus is competitive graphics quality and proper integration in a modern game engine architecture.
swiftcoder wrote:
Programmers evaluating graphics engines are very rarely going to be pulled in by a catch phrase - some more beautiful samples and demos would be worth considerably more ;)

That's true. Unfortunately I was never good in making really stunning looking demos, so someone else needs to help out there ;)

PostPosted: 05.04.2009, 16:54 

marciano wrote:
swiftcoder wrote:
Programmers evaluating graphics engines are very rarely going to be pulled in by a catch phrase - some more beautiful samples and demos would be worth considerably more ;)
That's true. Unfortunately I was never good in making really stunning looking demos, so someone else needs to help out there ;)
When I get done with the hell of a semester, I hope to be able to spend some time in the summer doing exactly that - however, you know how life goes...