Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 11:12

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 30.05.2011, 16:47 

helloo !
i have two questions,
1. I am using 3d max for creating models or objects for creating my scene in horde3d editor.
in simple i plan to construct walls of a room in 3d max and then export them for horde3d editor
I use opencollada in 3d max 2010 to export my objects , then i convert those objects with collada
converter the one which is provided in svn as well.
but when i add that object's xml into horde3d editor , i can't see the object after i add the xml in
horde3d editor. although i can see x y z direction pointer for that object but i can't see the
object.

2 . is there any way i can use the animations as well in horde3d editor that i create in 3d max.
Kindly help if some one can I shall be thankful for the directions

Regards Elisbeth

PostPosted: 30.05.2011, 20:06 

Hi.
When loading the object into the editor, can you see the model in the preview window? Or are there any errors?
If it is displayed correctly it most likely is a scaling issue. Try scaling your model down using the 'e' key.

On a side note: in both 3ds Max 2010 and 2011 I experienced the inbuilt Autodesk Collada exporter to be the most reliable one (admittedly I havent tried the OpenCollada exporter for I while ).

Regarding the animation: You can play the Animation within the editor using the GameEngine KeyframeAnimationComponent.
You have to use the Horde3D Editor with GameEngine to use it.

PostPosted: 30.05.2011, 22:17 

Roland wrote:
Hi.
When loading the object into the editor, can you see the model in the preview window? Or are there any errors?

For your question that is it available in preview ...I get following messages in preview, evrything gets loaded but
there is one error now
*********************************************************************************
Adding SceneGraph resource 'box2.scene.xml'
Loading resource 'box2.scene.xml'
Adding Geometry resource 'box2.geo'
Adding Material resource 'ColorEffectR196G88B225-material.material.xml'
Loading resource 'box2.geo'
Loading resource 'ColorEffectR196G88B225-material.material.xml'
Resource 'ColorEffectR196G88B225-material.material.xml' of type 4: No data loaded (file not found?)
*********************************************************************************
Quote:

On a side note: in both 3ds Max 2010 and 2011 I experienced the inbuilt Autodesk Collada exporter to be the most reliable one (admittedly I havent tried the OpenCollada exporter for I while ).
Regarding the animation: You can play the Animation within the editor using the GameEngine KeyframeAnimationComponent.
You have to use the Horde3D Editor with GameEngine to use it.
[/quote][/quote]

Do you mean i can make animation on imported object ...For example....

is it possible if i import door and animate its opening closing in horde3d editor

Regards Elisbeth

PostPosted: 31.05.2011, 09:22 

Elisbeth wrote:
is it possible if i import door and animate its opening closing in horde3d editor

No. You cannot create an animation in the editor.
What you can do is to play an .anim file which you exported from 3ds max.

Regarding your error: Have you checked for those missing files? Have they been created by the exporter?
Maybe a path in one of the xml files is wrong.
You cant expect your model to be displayed properly if files are missing :?

PostPosted: 31.05.2011, 17:07 

Roland wrote:
Elisbeth wrote:

No. You cannot create an animation in the editor.
What you can do is to play an .anim file which you exported from 3ds max.

Regarding your error: Have you checked for those missing files? Have they been created by the exporter?
Maybe a path in one of the xml files is wrong.
You cant expect your model to be displayed properly if files are missing :?

yes , these are not provided by the exporter , and i think i don't have the right collada exporter
because it is not giving me any file named material.xml which while loading in the horde3d editor's
preview also i find as missing, anyways ! firstly i was thinking may be its a problem of system 32 bit
version coz my collada converter that i used was for 32 bit and i my 3d max is 32 bit version but my system
is 64bit ... but then i checked using my another system which is 32 bit, but still my Collada converter didnt
give me the file named as material.xml

I think the problem is in collada converter because it doesn't give me all the files , not even .anim file all though while
exporting it shows me that it is exporting animation as well but it doesn't give me .anim and material.xml

Do you know if there is any other exporter i can use or if you know a better trusted version available somewhere

Regards Elisbeth

PostPosted: 31.05.2011, 18:37 

Im using the Autodesk Collada exporter included in 3ds.
Here is a screenshot of the basic settings which should work.

Make sure you have the latest version of the exporter. There is an update button at the bottom of the exporter settings.

Also make sure you have the latest ColladaConv.exe.

PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 01:39 

Hey can anyone tell me if Maya 2012 comes with its own collada exporter? I'm using the open collada exporter with 2009 and it seems to work out fine for geometry but animation frame time and some keyframes don't get through properly so I was planning to see if 2012 has its own one like 3DSMAX does and whether or not it is good or not. It says FBX in that screenshot, does it use a similar code path?

Failing that, I think I might make my own exporter to .geo/.scene.xml/.anim in python...

PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 10:02 

MistaED wrote:
Hey can anyone tell me if Maya 2012 comes with its own collada exporter? I'm using the open collada exporter with 2009 and it seems to work out fine for geometry but animation frame time and some keyframes don't get through properly so I was planning to see if 2012 has its own one like 3DSMAX does and whether or not it is good or not. It says FBX in that screenshot, does it use a similar code path?

Failing that, I think I might make my own exporter to .geo/.scene.xml/.anim in python...

Hi.
I dont use Maya. But searching for "collada" in the Maya 2012 Online Help it seems like it uses the same fbx based collada exporter as 3dsMax (judging from the screenshots).

Using the Audodesk Collada Exporter I successfully exported plenty of animations and morphtargets (with 3ds Max 2011).

PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 19:39 

Roland wrote:

Make sure you have the latest version of the exporter. There is an update button at the bottom of the exporter settings.

I used again the thing reffered by you , After applying the options that you mentioned in the picture i get a .dae file
and then i convert that .dae file by the collada converter , which gives me 2 more files named .geo and .scene

1. but it still didnt give me any file named .anim , i mean animation is not obtained...
.scene file consists of this
***************************************************************************************************
<Model name="dooranim" geometry="dooranim.geo">

<Mesh name="Box001" material="D:\Tools\Horde3DEditor\bin\materials\platform\stones.material.xml" tx="-25" ty="0" tz="20" rx="-90" ry="0" rz="-0" batchStart="0" batchCount="72" vertRStart="0" vertREnd="35" />
<Mesh name="PivotDoor001" material="D:\Tools\Horde3DEditor\bin\materials\platform\stones.material.xml" tx="-40" ty="0" tz="-70" rx="-0" ry="90" rz="0" batchStart="72" batchCount="228" vertRStart="36" vertREnd="171" />
<Mesh name="PivotDoor002" material="D:\Tools\Horde3DEditor\bin\materials\platform\stones.material.xml" tx="1340.14" ty="-33.7619" tz="-238.621" batchStart="300" batchCount="108" vertRStart="172" vertREnd="247" />
</Model>
***************************************************************************************************

2 . where path to material that i highlighted is given any random material , although i didnt apply any material in my modeled wall or door that i tried exporting from max
Now when i add reference of dooranim it stucks horde3d editor .

Problem is . A. Why i don't get animation with an extension .anim
B. Why i can't see the objects door and wall

Regards Elisbeth

Note :: I can see attached objects in the tree

PostPosted: 02.06.2011, 20:01 

Roland wrote:

Kindly neglect my last post against your recommendations , it works fine now , i can see wall and door both ,
but still i am confused about animation , why i don't have animation file .anim etc

Do you have any idea why this converter doesn't give me that .anim file, I only get .geo .scene files

Regards Elisbeth

PostPosted: 03.06.2011, 00:48 

Elisbeth:
You need to pass the '-type anim' flag on ColladaConv to make it output an animation, it is separated because normally you'd export the model to one file and export many animation collada files without the geometry.
http://horde3d.org/docs/manual.html (under content pipeline)

Roland:
Nice find! I should've checked the online documentation :) time to get maya 2012 then!

PostPosted: 03.06.2011, 20:45 

MistaED wrote:
Elisbeth:
You need to pass the '-type anim' flag on ColladaConv to make it output an animation, it is separated because normally you'd export the model to one file and export many animation collada files without the geometry.
http://horde3d.org/docs/manual.html (under content pipeline)

Roland:
Nice find! I should've checked the online documentation :) time to get maya 2012 then!

I appreciate the suggestion that is given, I have read the suggested documentation as well but even after sitting
for hours infront of this problem i couldn't yet find out a way that how would i give an argument to an exe that is
in the SVN of horde3d ...

To be more accurate I must tell you that i drag the .dae file and drop it onto .exe the one i have in the
WorkspaceSVN/Horde3d/binaries/Win32 named as "ColladaConvd" and I get .geo and .scene file ..

according to your suggestion i must provide the -type , i tried doing so through command prompt in windows as well but i don't know
why it says invalid arguments ...

Do you have any simple way using "ColladaConvd" converter

Regards Elisbeth

PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 02:34 

Hi Elisbeth sorry I missed your post yesterday. What I normally do when I'm in windows is use the ColladaConv.bat file and modify that in a text editor to have -type anim in there and drag & drop on top of that and not the .exe itself. The file should be in the SVN already, Horde3D/Binaries/Win32/ColladaConv.bat so what you can do is copy-paste it and rename it to ColladaConvAnim.bat and modify that (specifically line 29)
Code:
ColladaConv models\%~n1\%~nx1 -base %baseDir% -dest %outputDir%

Changed to:
Code:
ColladaConv models\%~n1\%~nx1 -base %baseDir% -dest %outputDir% -type anim

Hope this helps!

Edit: Actually since you're using the debug build you'll need to rename all instances of ColladaConv to ColladaConvd in that file, and make sure it is in the same directory as the exe. :)

PostPosted: 05.06.2011, 18:38 

MistaED wrote:
Hi Elisbeth sorry I missed your post yesterday. What I normally do when I'm in windows is use the ColladaConv.bat file and modify that in a text editor to have -type anim in there and drag & drop on top of that and not the .exe itself. The file should be in the SVN already, Horde3D/Binaries/Win32/ColladaConv.bat so what you can do is copy-paste it and rename it to ColladaConvAnim.bat and modify that (specifically line 29)
Code:
ColladaConv models\%~n1\%~nx1 -base %baseDir% -dest %outputDir%

Changed to:
Code:
ColladaConv models\%~n1\%~nx1 -base %baseDir% -dest %outputDir% -type anim

Hope this helps!

Edit: Actually since you're using the debug build you'll need to rename all instances of ColladaConv to ColladaConvd in that file, and make sure it is in the same directory as the exe. :)

Hi Alex ! It seems quite a good suggestion and elaboration of what I needed . but there is no result that I could get, I did all steps that you asked me to do .
I follow your procedure as follows...

1. I open ColladaConv batch file from path Horde3D/Binaries/Win32/ and copy it as ColladaConvAnim.

2. I changed the line 27 with what you say

Quote:
Edit: Actually since you're using the debug build you'll need to rename all instances of ColladaConv to ColladaConvd in that file, and make sure it is in
the same directory as the exe. :)

Problem::
***************3. I am confused about renaming instance of ColladaConv to ColladaConvd *******

4.After editing the file i put ColladaConvAnim in the same directory in which i have the exe ColladaConvd

5. Then I drag and drop .dae on batch file ColladaConvd but i don't get .anim file yet :(

About my Point 3
Where should i rename instances of ColladaConv to Colladaconvd ?
Do you mean in the same batch file which i rename as ColladaConvAnim I should replace ColladaConv to ColladaConvd and then drag and drop on this batch file?

Regards Elisbeth

PostPosted: 06.06.2011, 11:27 
Tool Developer

If you are using the SourceForge SVN trunk or the official release, forget the ColladConvd hint from Alex. It's only relevant for the community branch where the Debug versions of the executables and shared libraries are marked with a 'd' at the end. If you've got a ColladaConv.exe use this, if you've got a ColladaConvd.exe use that.

You must not rename any exe. You are just using what you've got at your working copy.

Have you ever used a command line? It might be easier first to try out the right command line parameters before adjusting the batch file.

Supposing you are using windows, start a command shell by typing "cmd" in the Run or Search field (depending what version windows you are using)
Then change to the directory where ColladaConv.exe is saved on your harddisk. Try googling if you don't know how to change the current directory on the command line (keyword = cd). Then copy your dae file in the same directory and try typing

Code:
ColladaConv yourfile.dae -type anim

That should create some .anim files if your model contains animations.