Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 29.03.2024, 12:10

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 14.01.2009, 04:33 

Ok, in an effort to resolve my crashes, I'm going to attempt to compile the editor.

current crash sees to be irregular but limited to non-debug mode. That is as long as I'm in debug mode ( wireframes) I can work 100%.

UPDATE: One type of crash would seem to be effected by the location of the camera in relation to the light.
scenario: light(0,100,0); cam (0,50,0) Ok
scenario: light(0,100,0); cam (0,150,0) crash
This could be do to the light being in view, or the light being lower then the cam. I would suspect in view.
note: This is only relevant if the light node is selected.
UPDATE: It is confirmed its when the light is in view and the light node is selected.
UPDATE: I'm now convinced its any node that is in view and selected.
example. I'm looking at the wire from of object1. Object one's node is selected. I exit debug mode, returning to rendered view and it will crash. It the node was not selected it would have been ok, if object1 was not in the view, it would have been ok.

First attempt to build just the editor I get
Code:
------ Build started: Project: HordeSceneEditor, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling UI file SceneFilePage
The system cannot find the path specified.
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Compiling UI file SceneFilePage"
Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were not found:
$(QTDIR)
Build log was saved at "file://D:\game dev stuff\horde3d\src\HordeSceneEditor\Build\HordeSceneEditor\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
HordeSceneEditor - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I have not changed the dir structure, do I need to change any compiler settings or compile anything first?

Do I need to add any environment vars?

PostPosted: 14.01.2009, 08:09 
Tool Developer

First thanks for trying to take a deeper look at the problem.

Before answering, let me ask you a few questions.

1. I uploaded a new release (basically it's not that different from the RC1 but maybe it solves the problem anyway) to the project page two days ago. Do you use this version? Or which version are you using?

2. To compile the editor you need Qt installed. Do you have it installed? If yes under windows the project settings require an environment variable called QTDIR set, that is pointing to the root directory of your Qt installation. e.g.
QTDIR=C:\Qt

3. In case you don't have it installed, it depends on what platform you are using. In case of linux you can just add the qt4-devel package to your installation. In case of windows and Visual Studio you have to download the Qt source package and extract it to a directory that does not contain any spaces e.g. C:\Qt (keep in mind that e.g. on german Vista installations C:\Programme is indeed pointing to C:\Program files on your HDD that does contain spaces).
After extracting the source files from the archive you have to open a visual studio command prompt and switch to the directory where the Qt files are placed. There you first type:
Code:
configure -platform win32-msvc2005 -no-qt3support

and after qmake has created the makefiles you have to run
Code:
nmake

If you have VS2008 instead of 2005 you have to replace -win32-msvc2005 by -win32-msvc2008. If you only have the express edition of Visual C++ installed, you have to install the Windows or Platform SDK first. If you have the Visual Studio Professional version, it already contains the required files.
The following compilation process takes a while. In the meantime you can add the QTDIR environment variable to your windows settings.
After Qt is compiled you should be able to compile the editor based on the visual studio solution file.

PostPosted: 14.01.2009, 18:49 

Ok I tried the new version, Thx for the update.. I dont like the fact I have to uninstall the old one? I may have made changes and hate to lose them..So I just backed up, uninstalled, installed and copied my changes back in. Also it didnt remember the old location, it wanted to put in in a folder called "program files" whats that ? Just kidding.. So the verdict is .. fixed.

I dont have Qt i install and I hope I dont need it now.

If I have further problem I'll work with you on it.

It is so much easier to use when you dont have to save after every change ;) Thx for your hard work..

PostPosted: 14.01.2009, 19:09 
Tool Developer

Nice to see, that problems seems to be fixed. I can't follow you when complaining about uninstalling the old version, but all you have to save is the HordeSceneEditor.ini in the bin folder. In this file all editor settings are stored. The uninstaller never deletes files it hasn't created. So even if the previous version will be uninstalled, all files created after the previous installation should remain untouched.

Concerning the "old" location, I didn't spent much time to figure out Microsoft's way to configure installers. If you can tell me how to fix that, feel free to help me fixing it :-)

PostPosted: 15.01.2009, 00:46 

Volker, never take it as a complaint always as constructive criticism. If you have no time for that just say so. Though the solution is suffice. I no not of installers ;) Just feed back for you.

PostPosted: 15.01.2009, 08:18 
Tool Developer

No problem, just kidding :-)

PostPosted: 15.01.2009, 18:06 

on a more positive note, I have used over 10 open source community editors for other engines and yours is by for the most stable ( well since the last build ) ;)