Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 07.05.2024, 21:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Beta3 ready for testing
PostPosted: 22.02.2009, 20:25 
Engine Developer

The current code (including all documentation) in the SourceForge svn is very close to what we plan to release as Beta3. Since there were many changes after Beta2, it is well possible that some new bugs got introduced.

Please try out the latest version with your project to help identifying possible problems. We would like to release Beta3 officially as soon as possible. From the readme:

Code:
Release Notes:

The new Beta3 release brings a few substantial improvements. It features a refactored
   shader system with a cleaner and more powerful FX-like file format and support for automatic
   shader permutation generation. The performance of Beta3 was optimized a lot, for example by
   introducing an enhanced LOD system. Another new feature is support for loading textures
   from DDS files. Besides these major upgrades, there are many samller API improvements,
   optimizations and bug fixes. Finally, Beta3 got improvements to the Collada Converter
   so that it now supports a wider range of DCC tools.

PostPosted: 23.02.2009, 02:27 

marciano wrote:
Code:
Release Notes:

The new Beta3 release brings a few substantial improvements. It features a refactored
   shader system with a cleaner and more powerful FX-like file format and support for automatic
   shader permutation generation. The performance of Beta3 was optimized a lot, for example by
   introducing an enhanced LOD system. Another new feature is support for loading textures
   from DDS files. Besides these major upgrades, there are many samller API improvements,
   optimizations and bug fixes. Finally, Beta3 got improvements to the Collada Converter
   so that it now supports a wider range of DCC tools.
Looking good! I will take SVN head for a spin as soon as possible.

Mind if I provide a few minor grammar corrections to the readme?
Code:
The new Beta3 release brings a few substantial improvements. It features a refactored shader system with a cleaner and more powerful FX-like file format along with support for automatic shader permutation generation. The performance of Beta3 has been optimized considerably, for example by the introduction of an enhanced LOD system. Another new feature is support for loading textures from DDS files. Besides these major upgrades, there are many samller API improvements, optimizations and bug fixes. Finally, Beta3 features improvements to the Collada Converter, such that it supports a wider range of DCC tools.

PostPosted: 24.02.2009, 00:30 

Beta3 looks good but I am missing way how to change texture in material sampler. Is there any way how to do that by official API?

PostPosted: 24.02.2009, 09:19 

we will probably need something like this:

Code:
bool setResourceParamstr( ResHandle res, int param, const char *item, const char *value );
or
Code:
bool setMaterialParamstr( ResHandle res, int param, const char *item, const char *value );

PostPosted: 24.02.2009, 10:07 
Tool Developer

A function setResourceParamstr is already available. Currently it only allows changing the class attribute of a material.

PostPosted: 24.02.2009, 11:12 

Does not even compile for me as it complains about the function "max" not being found (egRendererBase.cpp:176).
Did you mean maxf? That one is declared in utMath.h. Is that function declared somewhere on Windows?

PostPosted: 24.02.2009, 11:29 

Volker wrote:
A function setResourceParamstr is already available. Currently it only allows changing the class attribute of a material.

I know. I was thinking about new function (in addition to existing one) which allows me something like this:
Code:
Horde3D::setResourceParamstr( materialRes, MaterialResParams::SamplerTexture, "SamplerName", "NewValue" );

PostPosted: 24.02.2009, 13:06 
Tool Developer

phoenix64 wrote:
Does not even compile for me as it complains about the function "max" not being found (egRendererBase.cpp:176).
Did you mean maxf? That one is declared in utMath.h. Is that function declared somewhere on Windows?

Ah thanks for pointing that out, max is defined in windef.h indeed. I (hopefully) fixed it by introducing maxi.

ii001 wrote:
I know. I was thinking about new function (in addition to existing one) which allows me something like this:

Sorry, I overlooked the additional parameter.

PostPosted: 24.02.2009, 14:42 

Volker wrote:
phoenix64 wrote:

Ah thanks for pointing that out, max is defined in windef.h indeed. I (hopefully) fixed it by introducing maxi.
You could also consider using std::max instead :P

PostPosted: 25.02.2009, 10:55 

I am missing support for DXT1A textures (DXT1 with 1-bit alpha). Detection of DXT1A from DDS is little more complex (you have to decode block and compare colors of the block ( if colour0 <= colour1 then DXT1A else DXT1 ). But I think that it is save to assume that all textures are DXT1A. There is probably no speed penalty for doing that. This modification in the egRenderBase.cpp will enable DXT1A textures and DXT1 will work also.

Ln: 234 (old code)
Code:
case TextureFormats::DXT1:
   internalFormat = GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT;
   break;

Ln: 234 (new code)
Code:
case TextureFormats::DXT1:
   internalFormat = GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT;
   break;

PostPosted: 26.02.2009, 11:18 

Horde3D::setNodeActivation does not wok same way as in the Beta2. Now it does not affect children of the node. Is it new feature or bug?

PostPosted: 27.02.2009, 09:12 
Engine Developer

ii001, thanks for the feedback.

ii001 wrote:
I am missing support for DXT1A textures (DXT1 with 1-bit alpha). Detection of DXT1A from DDS is little more complex (you have to decode block and compare colors of the block ( if colour0 <= colour1 then DXT1A else DXT1 ). But I think that it is save to assume that all textures are DXT1A. There is probably no speed penalty for doing that. This modification in the egRenderBase.cpp will enable DXT1A textures and DXT1 will work also.

Good point, we will check that...

ii001 wrote:
Horde3D::setNodeActivation does not wok same way as in the Beta2. Now it does not affect children of the node. Is it new feature or bug?

This seems to be a bug, probably related to the the introduction of the spatial graph.

PostPosted: 01.03.2009, 18:54 

Is anything planned on manually setting material textures? I've just hit the problem that for this project I need to dynamically create/manipulate textures of different size for one material.

I'd say, as far as possible the whole material/pipeline/shader system should be accessible for programmatical creation of resources.

EDIT: Just saw that I am including the internal headers already (for my own scene nodes), I might as well just use the functions there.

EDIT2: Argh. There isn't even an internal interface to change samplers -.-

EDIT3: I really need this, so I just started my own patch for that. First part in the attachments.

And who disabled *.patch in this forum? -.-

Attachments:
File comment: Patch for functions with an additional item parameter (Resources only for now).
0001-Added-interface-for-resource-parameter-items.patch.tar.gz [1.73 KiB]
Downloaded 603 times
PostPosted: 02.03.2009, 03:13 

phoenix64 wrote:
Is anything planned on manually setting material textures?

Sorry I haven't looked at beta 3 yet, but can't you use the following code to do that?
Horde3D::setResourceParami( materialID, MaterialResParams::TexUnit_0, textureID );

PostPosted: 02.03.2009, 14:19 

You can't do that any more as the textures are now referred to by names and the functions for accessing them have been deleted.

EDIT: Added a patch that implements changing the samplers. Does not yet implement adding or removing of samplers, though this is quite simple to implement. Please, share your thoughts on the interface for this.

EDIT2: Both patches released under the WTFPL. Use them as you want.

Attachments:
File comment: Second part of the patch, enables manually setting sampler textures in a material.
0002-Added-Material-sampler-parameter.patch.tar.gz [1.12 KiB]
Downloaded 623 times