Horde3D

Next-Generation Graphics Engine
It is currently 28.03.2024, 10:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 08.03.2011, 15:17 

Hello Evry1
I have simple question if any1 could help
I am new to Visual c++ and IDE (environment), I want to make a copy of a project that i am downloading from SVN repository
and use it , but in the same project solution .. I mean when I download repository I have main Project as Game Engine 2010
and then I have sub modules (projects) as different applications , I want to make my own application , for example I am learning
tutorials given on the horde3D web page , so I want to make my own separate application using the previously given application
for example i want to use demo application and using it i will create a small game , I have done it in the demo application but now i want
to keep it as a separate project as my own but it will be under the Game Engine 2010 main Project
The problem that I get is linking of files , although when i m using these in given files it doesn't give error , in simple files are in perfect folder and location

but when i create a new copy it makes error that can not open file horde3d.h etc etc
I shall be thankful to any1 who guides

Regards Imran habib

PostPosted: 09.03.2011, 10:10 
Tool Developer

You have to adjust your project settings right. But that's not really a problem regarding Horde but with Visual Studio. So maybe reading some tutorials about Visual C++ project settings may be the right way.
In your case, if you have problems with including header files, check the "Additional Include Directories" in the C++/General section of the project properties.

PostPosted: 12.03.2011, 06:47 

I will suguest using cmake and seeing the CMakeLists.txt files inside the proyect youhave creatd, in windows you normally will use the cmake-gui, from this you can generate VS compatible files, sure you need to rerun cmake for each file (depending in how you wrote CMakeLists.txt).

In this way, you will have your new project alongside the other projects in VS.

PostPosted: 12.03.2011, 19:21 

tyoc213 wrote:
I will suguest using cmake and seeing the CMakeLists.txt files inside the proyect youhave creatd, in windows you normally will use the cmake-gui, from this you can generate VS compatible files, sure you need to rerun cmake for each file (depending in how you wrote CMakeLists.txt).

In this way, you will have your new project alongside the other projects in VS.

Well Sorry ! but i m really new to this environment and I don't understand your reply but I think atleast i m telling honestly !

Secondly ! i need guidance ! i have a project solution from SVN repository, now I want to copy that base code that gives me the
first scene or the first environment or in simple words I want to use that base code for my own application, what should i do
I have the control over characters and camera etc , but really i dun know how should i make my own application ,

OR
in simple could u kindly suggest me a tutorial that could help me as begginer to horde3d, I am begginer to game engine and its quite difficult to

even create my own small scene that has two characters etc, i need guidance plz help

Kindly guide me !
Regards Imran Habib

PostPosted: 12.03.2011, 21:52 
Tool Developer

Don't get me wrong, but if you don't have any experience with C++ development including project setup etc, do you think it's a good idea to start with a big project like the GameEngine?

Basically you only have to copy and paste the files of a working application project and adjust some things. Try to edit the .vcproj (XML) files if you don't have experience with CMake to find out where there are directories referenced. Try to understand what those references mean and if you have to adjust them or not.

PostPosted: 13.03.2011, 16:45 

If on VS, then create the project, open properties and try to copy each one property of the project that is already there.

But I still think is better to know how to use cmake, find a tutorial, and see each CMakeLists.txt inside each directory processed, see how they are setup, specially the one inside "Samples" folder, if Im not wrong there you only need to create a folder "brother" of the other samples, copy CMakeLists.txt inside of "Chicago" for example and see put the correct names for *.c and *h. Then you only need to regenerate, the project files for the specific compiler you have (the version of VS).

Search for the tuts with cmake (this is a utility for manage builds used by Horde3D and other projects out there, is not Horde or graphics specific).

PostPosted: 13.03.2011, 20:39 

Volker wrote:
Don't get me wrong, but if you don't have any experience with C++ development including project setup etc, do you think it's a good idea to start with a big project like the GameEngine?

Basically you only have to copy and paste the files of a working application project and adjust some things. Try to edit the .vcproj (XML) files if you don't have experience with CMake to find out where there are directories referenced. Try to understand what those references mean and if you have to adjust them or not.

Firstly ! With Respect
If I see your experience in the game Engine I must not say anything and keep shut, but I think if i don't say anything right now there may be many a new students in future
who will be affected by your this thing....
but still being respectful to u , (as v respect the person like our parents from whom V learn a single word), I must say I m sorry but

""""
I don't agree with what you commented that i must not start, if I don't .... because there might b many a students of u who might want / need to start even from scratch
what about them , don't they have the right to learn...
I agree i am not much experienced at project setup but , i think I choose horde3d and visual c++ for learning and a person always starts something for learning something big....
Plz m sorry if u felt me even a little offensive but i m saying all that for the students who may come in future to ask u for guidance .....

Now lets come back to business...
It was a problem with settings and I solved it comparing the settings of Demoapp anyways i have no errors at compilation right now but when i Run that application it says horde3d.dll is missing
from my computer

any suggestions ???
once again ... Apart from buttering its really true tht U r much respectful for me coz i learnt alot from u in my other posts as well...

I prefer motivating some one towards some tasks instead of degrading him/her ....

Regards Imran Habib

PostPosted: 13.03.2011, 20:41 

tyoc213 wrote:
If on VS, then create the project, open properties and try to copy each one property of the project that is already there.

But I still think is better to know how to use cmake, find a tutorial, and see each CMakeLists.txt inside each directory processed, see how they are setup, specially the one inside "Samples" folder, if Im not wrong there you only need to create a folder "brother" of the other samples, copy CMakeLists.txt inside of "Chicago" for example and see put the correct names for *.c and *h. Then you only need to regenerate, the project files for the specific compiler you have (the version of VS).

Search for the tuts with cmake (this is a utility for manage builds used by Horde3D and other projects out there, is not Horde or graphics specific).

Well Thank U so much

I did almost the same and now i have no errors at compilation right now but when i Run that application it says horde3d.dll is missing
from my computer
any suggestions

Regards Imran Habib

PostPosted: 14.03.2011, 05:49 

Sounds like you have missed to copy Horde3D.dll and Horde3DUtils.dll into your Debug and Release folders [where new executable is generated]

PostPosted: 14.03.2011, 09:29 
Tool Developer

I just wanted to say that it might be easier first to learn to crawl before learning to walk. Start easy and grow with more complex projects. But glad to see you finally got it setup

PostPosted: 14.03.2011, 16:28 

Volker wrote:
I just wanted to say that it might be easier first to learn to crawl before learning to walk. Start easy and grow with more complex projects. But glad to see you finally got it setup

Yeah Thank U again

I only mean that i really wanna learn, and i can reduce my sleeping hours for that, I only need guidance towards a proper track...
I wanna learn each and everything about horde3d from scratch , do u think u can guide me about it, I agree with the fact i am
not good at many things , and for making myslef perfect i would like to learn alot from this blog

Kindly direct so that I even know the basics of it, even i am willing to start right from a scratch .... and i believe I will b good
enough someday
I Promise about Determination and Hardwork...

Regards Imran Habib

PostPosted: 14.03.2011, 16:47 

Siavash wrote:
Sounds like you have missed to copy Horde3D.dll and Horde3DUtils.dll into your Debug and Release folders [where new executable is generated]

Thank U siavash you were right about it , i copied the missing dlls in the folder debug but i didnt find any release folder anyways it worked i mean now
i don't have dll missing but when i run the project it says Error Initializing Game Engine

I think its again some reference missing But i am not sure about it , do you have some idea what could be the possible problem

Regards Imran Habib

PostPosted: 14.03.2011, 22:10 
Tool Developer

Try searching for the error message within the source code. Then you will probably find the reason for it. You may also want to try out the debugger of Visual Studio to find the reason for the error message.

PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 13:06 

Volker wrote:
Try searching for the error message within the source code. Then you will probably find the reason for it. You may also want to try out the debugger of Visual Studio to find the reason for the error message.

I am about to run it perfectly and I guess again its some connection missing somewhere, and I am sure that its the problem with how my content containing folder is not connected
perfectly, any idea where i can find connection which makes content folder (containing all information about models and demo.scene.xml etc)? or may be how demo.scene.xml is connected
can guide me through...
because i don't have any compile time errors I have run time problem , and when i compare it with real application its same in the start but at demo.scene.xml I don't find any connection
and after not able to find xml i think it stops

Most probably you know how the connection of xml is with the project
Thanks in advance ,
Regards Imran habib

PostPosted: 15.03.2011, 14:59 

imranhabib wrote:
Volker wrote:

I am about to run it perfectly and I guess again its some connection missing somewhere, and I am sure that its the problem with how my content containing folder is not connected
perfectly, any idea where i can find connection which makes content folder (containing all information about models and demo.scene.xml etc)? or may be how demo.scene.xml is connected
can guide me through...
because i don't have any compile time errors I have run time problem , and when i compare it with real application its same in the start but at demo.scene.xml I don't find any connection
and after not able to find xml i think it stops

Most probably you know how the connection of xml is with the project
Thanks in advance ,
Regards Imran habib

ThankS Volker Now it works and Now I Want to share with the students with whom, it may be becomes useful, in future .....

so, actually i was missing a connection of the xml, in the command arguments one must check the connection that should have the right address of the demo.scn
in the Project properties->configuration properties-> command arguments and then /demo.scn (the scene file name) so due to that it wasn't finding all the models
and environment .....

see ya again on next problem,

once again thank U so much for being so helping

Regards Imran Habib